Answer: Wole Soyinka.
Wole Soyinka was listed as an inspiration by thirteen different OGOV poets, followed by Dennis Brutus and Leopold Senghor, with seven mentions each.
The top ten:
Most Influential African (non-Ghanaian) Artists
1. Wole Soyinka (Nigeria), 14%
2. Dennis Brutus (South Africa), 8%
2. Léopold Senghor (Senegal), 8%
4. Gabriel Okara (Nigeria), 5%
4. Christopher Okigbo (Nigeria), 5%
6. John Pepper Clark (Nigeria), 4%
6. Oswald Mtshili (South Africa), 4%
8. Chinua Achebe (Nigeria), 3%
9. David Diop (Senegal), 2%
9. Chenjerai Hove (Zimbabwe), 2%
9. Dambudzo Marechera (Zimbabwe), 2%
9. Okot p’Bitek (Uganda), 2%
Nigerians dominate this list, as one might expect. The lack of poets from North or East Africa is notable.
Click here for an overview of this project, and to read other similar lists.
What do you think of these results?
Leave your thoughts in the comments!