Kyere Ofori Reginald was born in 1987 in Kumasi, Ashanti Region. He has an elder sister and a younger brother, and recently completed Philips Secondary Commercial School in Kumasi. He lives at Abuakwa in Kumasi.
Five Questions with Reggie Kyere:
1. What inspired you to write this poem? Why did you choose the couplet form?
I wrote this poem for the December elections. Honestly, I didn't know what a couplet was until you asked. I can say the couplets just came out of me.
2. What was your reaction to the [2008 Presidential] election, its results and how the country responded to it?
I thought it went well. Both parties accepted the results so I believe it was fair and the country responded to the results as mature and democratic people. There were a few disturbances, though.
3. In our last, impromptu, roundtable discussion, you asked the question "What makes good poetry and who decides it?" Did the conversation yield any answers for you? What did you take away from it?
I'll say I got lots of education from the discussion and would love it if such discussions keep coming up this year. Mutombo said something about taking time to write your poems and it really got to me. I now spend much more time on a poem than I would have.
4. It's become tradition, so we must ask: have you had any success finding fellow poets in Kumasi?
No luck! I'm hoping to find one through this medium.
5. Are you working on any new projects? Do any particular poems you're writing have you excited?
Yes! I write new poems everyday. I'm currently writing a new poem and have two others waiting to be written. I'm taking time to write them. I don't want them to be "bare."
....the idea of community of unity is a beautiful thing.May the good Lord give us strength and understanding in our pursuit to become one.Love the simplicity and conciseness of your diction.I am Kumasi based poet and would love to meet you personally to talk poetry and other programs I and other poets intend to embark.If you won't mind calling, my number is 0202576868 and on facebook, I bear this same name.Hope to link up with you.
Post a Comment